When it comes to cooking for Chef Sherson Lian, it is all about inspiration, taste and flavours. He admits that a lot of his cooking influence comes from his mother who gave him the foundation to meld tastes and spices together. With the coming festive season Chef Sherson shares, “I cannot wait to eat my favourite food like rendang, serunding and lemang. These are the food that I absolutely look forward to having during Raya!”
If you are planning to eat out to break fast with the family, he advises to book in an advance. “Its good to call the restaurant ahead of time to book your table, especially if you’re coming with family. Some eateries also lets you pre-order your meals so when you arrive to break fast, your food will be ready for you! Also make sure the restaurant has a kids menu or is kid friendly if you’re bring your little ones.”
Live cooking demonstration by Chef Sherson at Chinoz on the Park:
Chef Sherson’s Exclusive Recipe 1: Telur Puyuh Sambal Serai
- 10nos – Quail Eggs (boiled,peeled)
- 15gms – Ikan Bilis (fried till crisp)
- Long beans (optional condiment, cut to 1.5 inch in length)
Chop in food processor till very fine
- 6nos – Lemon Grass (sliced thinly)
- 100gms – Red Chili (deseed)
- 5nos – Chili Padi (red)
- 70gms – Shallots
- 30gms – Garlic
- 10gms – Turmeric (fresh)
- ½ tsp – Black Pepper
- Fish Sauce
- Lime Juice
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the quail eggs till crispy on the outside.
- In the same oil fry the processed mixture till crispy and fragrant.
- Season the paste, add in the quail eggs and fold in the ikan bilis.
- Deep fry the long beans briefly and fold in together.
Chef Sherson’s Exclusive Recipe 2: Chilli Assam Prawns
- 500gms – Large Prawns ( devein without shelling)
- 10nos – Chili Kering (deseeded, rough cut)
- 5cloves – Garlic (chopped)
- 3nos – Shallot (chopped)
- 1 handful – Thai Basil Leaf
- 2tbsp – Thai Chili Sauce
- 2tbsp – Oyster Sauce
- 1tbsp – Assam Jawa Paste
- Fish Sauce
- Deep fry prawns in super high heat. Set aside.
- In a wok, sauté the garlic, shallots, and dried chilli.
- When fragrant add in the sauces and the assam paste.
- Return prawns to the wok and stir.
- Season with fish sauce.
- Finally add in the thai basil leafs, toss for a couple of minutes then serve.
Recipe 3: Red Snapper Lemak Cili Api
- 1 kg – Red Snapper Fillet
- 40gm – Fresh Turmeric
- 1 nos – Onion
- 2 pcs – Lemon Grass
- 3 pcs – Bird Eye Chili
- 3 pcs – Red Chili
- 1 pcs – Assam Keping
- 0.5 lit – Coconut Milk
- Salt To Taste
Refer to cooking demonstration by Chef Sherson on our above youtube channel.
Also do check out a series of food review videos by Chef Sherson at Madam Kwan’s, Melur & Thyme, Aseana Café and Mamasan to find out which must have dishes to try during Ramadan! Watch the videos on: